and around the world

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

don't say it...


18195-R1-07-18A
Originally uploaded by lafalda.
hoo boy. well, although this cake came a year too early, the picture is coming in handy now. i did, indeed, three days ago say farewell to my twenties. i didn't know how i would take it, but as it turns out, i took it pretty well. i awoke to a text message (i have officially given in to calling them sms's [essemesska, to be exact:)]. no one in europe knows what a text message OR a cell phone is) at 9 am from a guy in the church named toncho. it said happy birthday and may God supply all your needs:) then "babka" gave me a fancy chocolate bar with raisins and nuts. i had a quiet morning of writing in my journal, then at 3 i had a date with my gypsy girls. they found out it was my birthday and wanted to throw me a party. so i walked to the square and met them "pri tesca" which means in front of tesco (the walmart of europe;). they held my hands and walked me to their street, singing me happy birthday, mostly in english. i was nervous to go into their apartment complex because some members of the team had had some unfavorable experiences with family members of the children. but i prayed on my walk to the square and God really provided...most of the parents were out of town at a big wedding. so the girls excitedly sat me down and made me coffee with cookies and...wait, as a precursor: everyday i walk by a house that has peonies. peonies are my favorite flowers. for the last several years my mom or cousin has bought me peonies from the farmer's market on my birthday. each day that i walked by the house i dreamed of knocking on their door, telling them this, and asking if i could have a peony for my birthday. so my day had come and i walked by the house as usual, hoping someone would be in the front yard, because the yard is fenced in and locked with a sign that says, "danger, bad dog" on it. so even if i had gotten up the courage to knock on the front door i couldn't have. but to no avail. so i walked by the house and breathed a little prayer, "God, please let me get a flower today." you know how sometimes you pray things, not really thinking they can happen? now back to my birthday party. you guessed it, the girls presented me with two...PLASTIC RED ROSES!!! it's just God's humor and blessing in one because i hate red roses:) but at the same time, to me they were the most beautiful flowers in the world. we had coffee and tea like young ladies (i was surprised by their flat. i honestly thought it would be much worse. it was tidy and they had furniture and working water and everything) we looked through photo albums and laughed at how silly they looked as little girls. they were a little embarrassed because they're at the age where they like to look sophisticated. then the girls took turns with my camera, making videos of themselves talking about how wonderful i am. i have to chuckle because i know it was because i had just bought them new outfits. then stanya came and invited me to her flat. stanya is a gypsy woman who got saved a few years ago. i work with her, doing ministry with the kids and visit her flat regularly. she made me coffee some sort of cream of wheat-type thing and stale cookies. my heart couldn't have been gladder. i played with her daughter, vaneska, who is the joy of my life. she is three and we get along because i am on her speaking level:) (that is flattering myself). so i left and stanya walked me out and gypsies called my name from all around. babies calling from dumpsters, waving from dirt heaps. i walked home. it was hot and humid out. then daska made me coffee and we had hazelnut icecream. i decided to take a walk that evening after it cooled off. i only have to walk about two blocks to find possibly the most beautiful place in the world. it's like the edge of the world. we live in blocks and blocks and blocks of communistic-style flats, then you walk and there's nothing. a huge, beautiful field with hills in the distance. it's so green because it rains regularly here. many would not agree with my calling it the most beautiful place. but to me it's more beautiful than words can express. but i know it's more than geography. i walked along the edge of the field and cried from the joy i felt in my heart at being there. it was a beautiful sorrow of missing loved ones, yet an inexpressable gladness and gratefulness to God. one, i think, that only those who know Him can understand.

4 Comments:

At June 28, 2006 9:46 AM, Blogger erin said...

Beautiful...babies calling from dumpsters, waving from dirt heaps...That seriously messed me up when I read that. I still don't think I've recovered from it.

Encore de Happy Birthday, doll. The peonies are missing you, and so am I.

 
At June 28, 2006 10:36 AM, Blogger Lance Fisher said...

Beautiful is the first word I thought of too after reading this. Thanks for the post. I really enjoyed it. Nice of Him to arrange the flowers for you ;)

 
At June 28, 2006 10:49 PM, Blogger XAgirl said...

This post brought tears to my eyes,Jess, it was so beautiful. Glad to hear of God's amazing grace. You're in my prayers.

 
At June 30, 2006 6:23 AM, Blogger lafalda said...

can't you just hear it? God sitting up in heaven saying, "i think THAT can be arranged" when He heard my prayer. heehee that makes me smile.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home